Fix Automatic Plugin Update
I recently moved from a MediaTemple Grid Server to a MediaTemple DV extreme, and in that move, I lost the ability to do automatic plugin updates, and it instead required me to enter my FTP info.
As I use a gigantic amount of plugins, that becomes annoying very soon. So I decided to find out what the issue is. Turns out that I’m having the same issue as the guy who filed this bug was. Filesystem access is available, the files are owned by me, but the webserver doesn’t run as me, and thus, WordPress doesn’t detect the automatic update correcly.
There’s a patch in there that makes it work, but might cause issues for some other users. Luckily, DD32 proposed a solution in the last comment: a plugin that makes sure “direct” is returned as the
So until this issue is fixed in WordPress core, you can download and install this plugin. After which, you can auto update all your other plugins with ease, as long as filesystem access is available.
Please note: I give no guarantees here, and please, if you don’t get this to work, disable the plugin and call your host, not me. There’s two few things you need to check:
- Make sure the
wp-content/plugins/directory and all the files in it are writable for the webserver.
- Make sure the
wp-content/upgrade/directory exists, and is writable by the webserver.
Update: I ended up switching hosts over issues like this one. More info on my WordPress hosting experiences here.
Update #2: Putting this in your wp-config.php will help in most cases without needing the plugin: