Submitting your site to Google News
If your site isn’t listed in Google News yet, you’ll be able to submit your site using this form. To be included in Google News, you need to abide by Google’s general Webmaster guidelines as well as Google’s Google News specific guidelines. In these guidelines there are several technical requirements and quality guidelines, most of these are met by the virtue of using WordPress, assuming you use a normal theme, there are few things to take note of:
- Google News sitemap; a Google news sitemap is “not required but recommended”. Our News SEO plugin generates this for you quite easily.
- Proper use of Google news metatags; the News SEO plugin allows you to use the news_keywords meta tag. Use them correctly (we’ve described what correctly is on the linked pages) or you could be banned from Google News.
As you can see, you don’t need the News SEO plugin to be shown in Google News but it does allow you to further optimize your site for Google News specifically. If you’re in Google News, you might as well try to get traffic out of Google News!
Other requirements for Google News
There are also a few other things you’ll need to get your site into Google News:
- A contactpage listing contact information such as your address, phone numbers and or email addresses. Just a contact form won’t do. Google wants to make sure you’re a legitimate news organization, make sure you site shows you as such.
- A page listing all of your editorial staff, it’s probably wise to make this a listing of author profiles and make sure your author profiles are rich.
- When deciding which image it uses for your article, Google reads schema.org image tags and
og:imagetags, which our core Yoast SEO plugin automatically generates when you enable either the Google+ or Facebook integration, so be sure to at least enable either one.
- In the submission form, Google will ask for the categories that apply to your content, it’s probably wise to make this a select group of quality category pages. It’s wise to make sure you’ve made these archive pages as well optimized as can be, this is a good tutorial to follow.
If you’ve taken care of all of this, you’re ready to submit to Google News. Good luck on getting your site included!
Over time, the requirements to submit your site to Google News change. We keep an eye on these changes and note them here, so if you’ve heard about a rule and don’t know if it still applies, you can look it up:
- 02/10/2015: Added the schema.org /
- 28/09/2015: Google no longer requires 3 digits in the URL of a news article. Note that article URLs must still be permanent & unique. Additionally, Google says to not republish previously published articles under a new URL.