Google Search Console: Breadcrumb Schema Report
Google Search Console notifies webmasters of issues with their breadcrumb schema. If your site’s breadcrumb schema report shows errors, we’ll help you determine where the issue occurs and which support team can help you resolve the issue.
- Determine which product on your site outputs the breadcrumb markup
By default, Yoast SEO does not output breadcrumb schema. Please verify that you have enabled Yoast SEO breadcrumbs.
If you are not using Yoast SEO breadcrumbs, something else on your site (most likely your theme) is added the breadcrumb markup. Please contact the team for the product that adds breadcrumbs for assistance resolving the issue. Not sure what products adds breadcrumbs for your site, a conflict check can help.
If you are using Yoast SEO breadcrumbs, there is a chance that something else adds their own breadcrumb markup so we’ll next check if the breadcrumb error is located inside the Yoast SEO breadcrumb markup.
- Determine if the error occurs inside the Yoast SEO breadcrumb markup
This test will require a little testing so we’ll walk you through it step by step below. Before starting, you will need to have at least one URL that is listed in the Google Search Console has having a breadcrumb schema report error.
- Locate and fix the cause of the error
A list of errors, causes and solutions is here.
- Validate the fix in Google Search Console
Once you have fixed the breadcrumb output, please use the Schema Markup Validator and Rich Results Tester to confirm that the breadcrumb code validates with no errors before using the ‘Validate Fix’ button in Google Search Console.
Is the error caused by the Yoast SEO breadcrumb schema markup?
This test will require a little testing so we’ll walk you through it step by step. Before starting, you will need to have at least one URL that is listed in the Google Search Console as having a breadcrumb error.
- Go to to the Schema Markup Validator.
- Paste the URL from Google Search Console that has a breadcrumb error.
- Click ‘Run test’.
On the left side, you will see the underlying source code used to display this specific URL. On the right side, you will see all of the schema markup found for this specific URL.
By default, Yoast SEO outputs a single schema section based on the content of the page. If you see multiple schema sections, another plugin, add-on or theme is also outputting schema.
- On the right side, click on the section that is marked as having an error.
- Scroll to the error and click on it. This will highlight the location where the error exists on the left side (code side).
- If the error occurs in the JSON-LD section that starts with
<script type='application/ld+json' class='yoast-schema-graph, the breadcrumb output is handled by Yoast SEO, one of our add-ons or has through custom code integration (used by other developers to modify default breadcrumb behavior).
If the error occurs outside of this code, the breadcrumb output is handled by another product on your site. Please contact the team for the product that adds breadcrumbs for assistance resolving the issue. Not sure what product adds breadcrumbs for your site, a conflict check can help.
Errors, causes and solutions
Missing title or image for post or page
- One of name or item.name must be provided. / Either “name” or “item.name” should be specified
- A value for the image field is required. / The image field is recommended. Please provide a value if available.
Title: The breadcrumb schema markup does not have a title. This could mean that either the post or page itself doesn’t have a defined title (appears as
(no title) in the page overview), or has an empty breadcrumb title. To add a custom breadcrumb title, please follow the steps here.
Image: A featured image was not selected for the post/page. Please set a featured image by editing the post or page.
Incomplete breadcrumb markup
- A value for the id field is required / Missing field “id”
- A value for the item field is required / Missing field “item”
- A value for the itemListElement field is required / Missing field “itemListElement”
The breadcrumb markup is incomplete. With default settings, this is not likely to occur with Yoast SEO breadcrumbs. Please contact support for further assistance.
Other error not listed above
As this report is still new, it is possible that we’ve missed or not seen the error you received. Please contact support for further assistance.