You might not exactly know what internal linking is, or deem it not that important. But it’s actually the first thing most SEO consultants start working on to improve websites. So make sure to rewatch this workshop!
An internal link is any link from one page on your website to another page on your website. Both your users and search engines use these links to find content on your website. By setting up an internal linking strategy, Google understands the relevance and value of pages, and the relationships between them. This makes setting up an internal linking strategy super important for your SEO!
In the workshop, we’ve explained step-by-step how to set up an internal linking strategy with Yoast SEO:
- Cornerstone approach: Determine what your best and most evergreen content is, and compete for more popular search terms.
- Keyword cannibalization: Track down blog posts that are very similar to prevent that you’re competing with yourself.
Another great way to improve your internal linking is to fix your unlinked aka orphaned content. The orphaned content workout in Yoast SEO Premium helps you clean up this content, so it can shine in the search results!
Topics discussed in this workshop
Timestamps indicate when the topic comes up in the recording
- 0:42 – Workshop agenda
- 1:50 – Step 1: Goal setting
- 3:35 – The inbound marketing method
- 7:59 – Step 2: Target audience
- 12:12 – How to choose the channel
- 15:07- Exercises explained
- 16:21 – Exercise 1: Instagram example
- 18:10 – Exercise 2: Email example
- 20:16 – Email best practices
- 21:55 – Checklist for great emails
- 22:19 – Subject line
- 23:35 – Focus
- 25:44 – Consistency
- 27:17 – Email marketing tools
- 30:00 – Social media best practices
- 31:35 – Checklist for awesome social posts
- 31:50 – Efficiency
- 35:10 – Tailoring
- 37:19 – Authenticity
- 39:41 – Social media marketing tools
- 42:03 – Summary
- 45:36 – Q&A
Marieke van de Rakt
is the CEO of Yoast. Her main focus is on growing the company. She is really passionate about maintaining open and friendly company culture.
Learn more in the Yoast SEO academy
Learn vital SEO skills that you can apply at once with our online training courses!
Coming up next!
- Stay tuned Keep an eye on our site and social media to stay up-to-date. See where you can find us next »
- SEO webinar 20 December 2022 Our head of SEO, Jono Alderson, will keep you up-to-date about everything that happens in the world of SEO and WordPress. All Yoast SEO webinars »