We’ve released our Yoast Test Helper plugin to WordPress.org. This is a plugin our teams use internally while testing Yoast SEO and it could be very useful for you in testing Yoast SEO on your staging environment. Let me explain the nicest features:
- Switching between free and premium
For obvious reasons, this is something we do a fair bit of in development, which is why we’ve made it very easy to do.
- Pretty printing Schema output
When you’re working with Schema, it’s very nice if the Schema output is pretty printed, so you can easily see your changes. This happens automatically when you enable the “development mode” in the plugin.
- Changing plugin database options
By setting the database option of a plugin to a version lower than the current version, you can trigger the needed option migrations. This allows us to test upgrade paths way more reliably.
- Quickly create post types & taxonomies
The Post types & Taxonomies functionality enables a Books and Movies post type plus taxonomies at the click of a button. This can be very useful to quickly test how certain functionality works with custom post types.
- Resetting Indexables migrations
Very important in regard to our upcoming Yoast SEO 14.0 Indexables release: by hitting the “Reset Indexables tables & Migrations” button, you can reset the Indexables database. This will cause all our migrations to run again.
There’s a lot more functionality in Yoast Test Helper, so have a play! It looks like this:
Of course, some of this functionality is very tied to the Yoast development team. I don’t expect you for instance to need to test with a different MyYoast install. But we’re sharing all of it in the hope of inspiring more people to share their development and testing tools.
Coming up next!
- Event February 29, 2024 Team Yoast is at Attending, Organizing, Speaking, Sponsoring WordPress Meetup Nijmegen! Click through to see who will be there, what we will do, and more! See where you can find us next »
- SEO webinar 27 February 2024 Get expert analysis on the latest SEO news developments with Carolyn Shelby and Alex Moss. Join our upcoming update! 📺️ All Yoast SEO webinars »