Senior computational linguist
Do you think it is exciting to help people to write better texts on the web by making software that gives our users guidance and feedback on their texts? Then, we’re looking for you!
As a senior computational linguist, your role will be to work on new product ideas for how we can improve our current features and develop new features. This will involve drawing on your scientific background in natural language processing and/or machine learning. You’ll play an active role throughout the whole process of feature development, from the conceptual phase all the way through to participating in the technical implementation.
Our text analysis currently relies on rule-driven algorithms that are executed client side. Your responsibility is to enhance this with insights from the field of information retrieval and computational linguistics.
You’ll closely follow the latest developments in natural language processing and machine learning, translating these into innovative ideas for our product roadmap. Conversely, you’ll link existing product ideas with appropriate scientific and technical approaches to work out viable solutions.
You can rely on the existing development expertise at Yoast to help you in making technical choices. But you should also have a hands-on mindset that enables you to translate product ideas into feasible product solutions within the scope of a real-life web application.
Additionally, you’ll need to take ownership of the product roadmap that you help to develop and bring to fruition. You’ll do this while keeping in close contact with stakeholders such as product owners, developers and quality assurance engineers.
What are you going to do?
- Developing new features related to readability and text analysis.
- Developing and managing a feature roadmap for new features.
- Developing technical approaches for existing product ideas and developing concrete implementation steps together with software engineers.
- Research into how we can enhance our current approach to text analysis with machine learning.
You’ll be working in a stimulating and fast-paced environment. At Yoast we love sharing knowledge. This part of the open-source ethos that permeates the organization. We not only love to share our knowledge with the outside world, but also within the company. You can draw on specialist knowledge and collaborate with developers, software engineers, product owners, linguists, quality assurance engineers and the business intelligence unit. As a scale-up we have a lot of professional knowledge available in-house, but at the same time we still operate on the basis of close cooperation that stems from our start-up roots. All doors will be open for you. It’s up to you to make the right connections for developing exciting new products.
Apart from working together with fellow Yoasters, we are also happy to foster new collaborations with research institutions. Leveraging your existing network or finding new potential partners is therefore highly encouraged. This is because we want to base our product decisions on the strongest evidence-based foundations possible.
At the moment, we are all working remotely and we communicate via Slack and Zoom. Once in-person meetings are possible again, there will be the possibility to work fully at our office in Wijchen (near Nijmegen, Netherlands) or part remote and part at the office.
What does your team look like?
You’ll be working in Yoast’s team of linguist-developers. In the team, we combine our academic background in linguistics with development skills to create software that helps users to write better texts. We work closely together with product owners and quality assurance engineers to deliver high quality software. Our work process is agile, which involves daily stand-up meetings and scrum work processes. We’re a very international team and our working language is English.
Who are you?
- An MA/MsC in (computational) linguistics, artificial intelligence (with a focus on natural language processing) or a related discipline, with strong prior industry experience. A PhD in one of these disciplines is a plus.
- A strong interest and ideally prior experience in applying research insights to innovative solutions.
- You’re good at working out solutions to problems independently.
- Excellent communication skills to share your ideas and visions.
- Apart from collaborating within existing team structures, you’re capable of making new connections inside Yoast as well as externally.
- You work very accurately and you have an eye for detail.
- You’re good at collaborating within a team. Additionally experience with agile collaboration methodologies such as scrum is a plus.
- Your spoken and written English are excellent. English is the working language of the team you’ll be working in.
- Background in text analysis and readability metrics is a plus.
- Prior experience in software development is a plus.
- Proficiency with git version control is a plus.
- Social Dutch is a plus, since it is the main company language.
What we’re offering
- A challenging job in a fast-growing, dynamic, ambitious and international atmosphere. Working at a company that impacts the web.
- A salary of 3300 - 4500 (on the base of 40 hours a week) depending on experience.
- 25 vacation days (on the base of 40 hours). Next to that, you’ll get five volunteer days which you can spend helping out at the local soccer club for example. Or to supervise a school trip of one of your children.
- You’ll be able to spend 10% of your salary on education.
- We have a great pension plan, which is fully paid by Yoast.
- Exercise and stay fit! We have our own gym and a personal trainer!
- We have a really fun (slightly crazy) company culture with lots and lots of team building activities. The know-your-colleagues-quiz, lots of celebrations and LEGO-building days. Because of Covid a lot of these things are online now!
- The opportunity to learn a lot in a short time, at one of the leading SEO companies.
Are you interested? Then respond before May 5, 2021. The application procedure consists of three interviews. Do you have questions? We'll be happy to answer them. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Our recruitment code applies to all applications)
Yoast consists of a rapidly growing team of internet enthusiasts. We’re a start-up with a very good international reputation when it comes to SEO and website optimization. Multiple times per week we publish free SEO and/or web development related articles on our blogs. We organize MeetUps and speak at conferences.
At Yoast, we are very community-minded and highly value Open Source. We provide both free and paid plugins for WordPress, Drupal, Magento 2 and TYPO3, and are always looking to expand our field of work. Besides software, we sell online (SEO) courses in our Yoast Academy.
Our company is continuously in development. We create a lot of new products. Next to ongoing improvements of our Yoast SEO plugins, we publish courses on a frequent basis. The development of new products is mostly done internally and is a real team effort. Our team consists of authors, illustrators, marketeers, developers, and researchers. Together, we build new innovative SEO products!