Junior researcher linguistics
We are looking for a junior researcher linguistics that helps people write better texts on the web by making software that gives our users guidance and feedback on their texts.
At Yoast we help people to write better texts on the web. We do this by making software that gives our users guidance and feedback on their texts, with the goal of making these easily readable and SEO-friendly. You’ll be helping us to translate insights from language research into products that help our customers.
For this, we expect you to be well-versed in finding, evaluating and summarizing academic literature. Additionally, you’ll help us in the exciting task of translating academic insights into usable products.
Ideally, you will be familiar with research topics such as readability of texts, reading levels of texts, text analysis and corpus linguistics. Familiarity with machine learning is a plus.
What are you going to do?
- Doing literature research into readability metrics, and how we can translate existing research into products that help people write better texts.
- Doing research into how we can adapt existing readability metrics into new languages.
- Possibly help implement research findings into code.
What does your team look like?
You’ll be working in Yoast’s team of linguist-developers. In the team, we combine our academic background in linguistics with development skills to create software that helps users to write better texts. We work closely together with product owners and quality assurance engineers to deliver high quality products. Our work process is agile, which involves daily stand-up meetings and scrum work processes. We’re a very international team and our working language is English.
At the moment, we are all working remotely and we communicate via Slack and Zoom. Once in-person meetings are possible again, there will be the possibility to work fully at our office in Wijchen (near Nijmegen, Netherlands) or part remote and part at the office.
Who are you?
- You have a master’s degree in linguistics.
- You work very accurately and you have an eye for detail.
- Being acquainted with text analysis and readability metrics, as well as research on readability, is a plus.
- Proficiency with git version control is a plus.
- Proficiency in additional (human) languages is a plus.
- You’re good at collaborating within a team. Experience with agile collaboration methodologies such as scrum is a plus.
- Your spoken and written English are excellent. English is the working language of the team you’ll be working in.
- Social Dutch is a plus, since it is the main company language.
What we’re offering
- A challenging job in a fast-growing, dynamic, ambitious, and international atmosphere. Working at a company that impacts the web.
- A salary of 2300-2600 (on the base of 40 hours a week) depending on your experience.
- 25 vacation days (on the base of 40 hours). Next to that, you’ll get five volunteer days which you can spend helping out at the local soccer club for example. Or to supervise a school trip of one of your children.
- You’ll be able to spend 10% of your salary on education.
- We have a great pension plan, which is fully paid by Yoast.
- Exercise and stay fit! We have our own gym and a personal trainer!
- We have a really fun (slightly crazy) company culture with lots and lots of team building activities. The know-your-colleagues-quiz, lots of celebrations and LEGO-building days. Because of Covid a lot of these things are online now!
- The opportunity to learn a lot in a short time, at one of the leading SEO companies.
Are you interested? Then respond before May 5, 2021. The application procedure consists of three interviews. Do you have questions? We'll be happy to answer them. Please send an email to email@example.com.
(Our recruitment code applies to all applications)
Yoast consists of a rapidly growing team of internet enthusiasts. We’re a start-up with a very good international reputation when it comes to SEO and website optimization. Multiple times per week we publish free SEO and/or web development related articles on our blogs. We organize MeetUps and speak at conferences.
At Yoast, we are very community-minded and highly value Open Source. We provide both free and paid plugins for WordPress, Drupal, Magento 2 and TYPO3, and are always looking to expand our field of work. Besides software, we sell online (SEO) courses in our Yoast Academy.
Our company is continuously in development. We create a lot of new products. Next to ongoing improvements of our Yoast SEO plugins, we publish courses on a frequent basis. The development of new products is mostly done internally and is a real team effort. Our team consists of authors, illustrators, marketeers, developers, and researchers. Together, we build new innovative SEO products!