So last week I’ve started sharing a lot more of what I read on a day to day basis on Twitter, and I decided I had to share these links here on yoast.com as well. Below is a quite extensive list of links that I found interesting, ordered by topic. I’ll try to do these on a weekly basis from now on.
Code Snippets and Examples
- The only proper way of adding a Facebook “Like” button to your WordPress blog
- An article I wrote recently for Smashing Magazine: Lessons Learned From Maintaining a WordPress Plug-In
- Gravity Forms PayPal integration
- 16 Vital Checks Before Releasing a WordPress Theme
- How to Display Human Readable Post Dates in WordPress
- Control WordPress Content via Userrights or Time
- A good Beginner’s Guide to the Thematic Framework
- BuddyPress Courseware beta; a very cool plugin for schools & other educational institutions.
- Post to post; nice plugin for creating relations between posts.
- Press This Reloaded; pretty useful if you need to, for instance, adapt the SEO title of a post.
- WPMU.org features my WordPress Salesforce CRM plugin.
- Custom Post Permalinks; I seriously think this should be in WordPress core, but as long as it’s not, this’ll do.
- Without any work from me, my Google Analytics plugin now helps you verify your Google Webmaster Tools account.
- I’m seeing similar stuff to this: Google Webmaster Tools Link data – a case study by Dave Naylor, my favourite UK SEO.
- Want an SEO job? Check out the Daily Mail’s robots.txt file
- Qualitative Web Analytics: Heuristic Evaluations Rock! another great post by Avinash Kaushik
- The new Management API for Google Analytics rocks; check out the docs
Web design / web development
- What a surprise: Steve Jobs was right, Flash fails on Android
- HTML5 for Web Designers: Book Review at Nettuts+ – I’ve read it too, it’s amazing
- Good Help is Hard to Find is another A List Apart classic. Wonder how to apply this to my plugins…
- A very concise explanation of the viewport metatag by David B. Calhoun
- A pretty awesome example of what can be reached with CSS3 now
- I’d almost start using Typekit: Adobe partners with Typekit to bring legendary typefaces to the web.
- MathML is now part of WebKit nightlies, go forth and play, all you math lovers out there!
- Delay loading of print CSS (in WordPress, but useful for everyone)
- Debugging Tools – jQuery for Designers
- This would work perfectly for WordPress plugin developers: Readme Driven Development
Online Marketing / Social media
- Daring Fireball – Online Advertising: Losing the Race to the Bottom – listen to this, seriously.
- What’s this thing called Buzz that Leo talks about? :)
- Facebook Tabs: What They Are & How to Use Them – Good writeup on RWW
- Quite curious how many people will do this: German Homes Can Now Opt Out Of Google – TechCrunch
- Experts are usually wrong
- Everyone looks better after you’ve tipped back a pint or two, and now we know why
- A nice infographic on the history of the Internet
- Freakonomics: loved the book, looking forward to the movie, check out the trailer.
- Wonder what my wife does? Read her latest paper on the Intergenerational Transmission of Convictions.
- (Fake) Lady Gaga sings about Java programming with some hilarious quotes
- Gonna have to try this on my son in about 2 years: 4 Tools for Teaching Kids to Code
- Basically, you can’t block Mark Zuckerberg on Facebook, because too many other people did it before you
- You know you’re a geek when you think this is funny
- Trying to follow this advice: living a Balanced Freelance Life (even though I’m only partly freelance)